Now that it’s getting colder and winter is almost here I’ve been craving a little more comfort food in my life. This veggie chilli hit the spot.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- olive oil
- 2 medium sweet white onions, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 sticks of celery
- 1 red pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 (28 oz.) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 a (5.5 oz.) can of tomato paste
- 1 (15 oz.) can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen corn
- 2 cups of water
- 1 veggie bouillon cube
- 1/2 tbs cumin
- 1/2 tbs dried oregano
- cayenne pepper to taste (depending on how spicy you like your chilli)
- salt and pepper
- fresh cilantro
- green onion
- nutritional yeast
Here’s What to do:
In a large pot over medium heat, heat up a little olive oil and then add the sweet onion and fry until they get a bit see through.
Add the garlic, celery, red pepper and jalapeño and continue to fry until they get slightly tender.
Add the can of crushed tomato (with the liquid), tomato paste, both kinds of beans and corn
Dissolve the bouillon cube in 2 cups of boiling water and add to the mixture
Add the cayenne pepper, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper and let simmer for about 30 minuets to allow it to thicken and the flavours to combine.
Top with a little nutritional yeast, green onion, fresh cilantro and serve it up!